Main content

Alert message

ST THOMAS A BECKET

AND CHAPEL PLAISTER

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE PCC

ON WEDNESDAY 1 OCTOBER 2008

AT THOMAS A BECKET CHURCH

Present: Revd Dr Janet Anderson-MacKenzie JAM (Chair)

Andrew Clark, Vice Chair AC

Clair Southgate, Churchwarden CS

Phillipa Mullins, Churchwarden PM

Sylvia Walker, Treasurer SW

Anne Newton, Parish Secretary AN (Withdrew after Item 6)

Freddy Connolly FC

Jane Cox JC

Phil Daniels PD

Jenny Eaton JE

Carol Gale CG

Wendy Hodgson WH

Diana Northey DN

Charles Freeman, Secretary CJF

ITEM 1 - OPENING PRAYERS, APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

1. JAM led the meeting in prayer.

2. Apologies were received from Tim Hammond, and immediately after the meeting from Charlie Tull who had been delayed by a business commitment. Apologies were also received from Roger Eaton, who would otherwise have been In Attendance.

ITEM 2 - APPROVAL MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

3. The minutes of the meeting on 19 June 2008 were approved.

ITEM 3 - MATERIEL MATTERS

4. The report by Roger Eaton (RE) given to the Standing C’tee on 11 Sept, as recorded in the minutes of that meeting, had been drawn to the attention of PCC members. CJF read the report aloud for anybody who had not seen it. The PCC took note.

ITEM 4 - ORGAN

5. AC, leading discussion on this item, asked the PCC to read the section of the minutes of the Standing C’tee of 11 Sept on the organ. PM then reported that since that c’tee met she had received from Martin Devon a more detailed specification of the electrical work needed to make the console portable, and she had also communicated with other members of the Working Group. She would now write to the Diocesan Organ Adviser in order that he could take to the DAC our request for this change to the console arrangements.

Action : PM

6. PD reported that the various insurance issues (see May Standing C’tee and June PCC minutes) remained outstanding. Simon Hewes had asked how urgent it was to obtain answers from the insurers, to which PM had responded that it was not planned to start the work until about April 2009.

Action : PD and PM

ITEM 5 - FRIENDS OF THOMAS A BECKET

7. AC led discussion of this item. He asked the members to study Item 10 (paras 25-31) of the minutes of the Standing Committee meeting. He commended the progress and achievement of FC and those who were working with her. FC pointed out one error in the minute; discussions had not yet been opened with Box Art Group about a picture for the front of the flyer. [Post meeting: the Standing Committee record has been amended].

8. FC explained that the draft constitution was based on the Charity Commission model, with amendments on the lines of St Bartholomew’s, Corsham. The short notice at which papers had been distributed for consideration at the Standing Committee meeting had been due to her group having had its own meeting to finalise its draft only the previous evening.

9. It was noted that FC’s working group would meet JAM and PD on 9 October, with the intention of resolving the remaining difficulties, which centre on the relationship between the church, as represented by the PCC, and the Friends organisation.

10. It was agreed to hold an additional PCC meeting on Monday 13 October at 2000 at St TaB to consider the draft Trust Deed for the Friends organisation. CJF asked for the latest version to be passed to him as soon as possible after the meeting on 9 October, so that it could be distributed to all members of the PCC for consideration. It was noted that not all members of the PCC could attend on 13 October, but any comments submitted by email would be relayed to the meeting; further the majority of those who could not attend on 13 October would be at the meeting on 9 October.

Action: FC

All

ITEM 6 – GROWTH PLAN

11. Discussion of this topic was introduced by AC. A summary of the key points for the Growth Plan, as agreed at the recent Awayday, had been distributed with the briefing papers for the meeting. It was proposed by PD, seconded by CS, and agreed unanimously that this was a true record and that the PCC endorsed the intention to implement this Plan. FC expressed some doubt as to whether the point she had expressed at the Awayday about wanting to learn more about the word of God, as recorded in the Bible, had been adequately recorded, but was reassured by JAM that “more lay training and access to courses” was intended to embrace this and other points.

12. In a review of progress of “immediate changes” and “things to be planted straight away” it was recorded that;

· Arrangements were being made to publicise the change of service times from the beginning of Advent.

· A rota was being prepared for the “time of prayer” at 0830 on Saturdays.

· A rota was also being produced for staffing the church every weekday morning from 1000-1200. This scheme would also start from the beginning of Advent. It was noted that attention needed to be given to the personal safety of those carrying out this duty. They would all need to be briefed on this aspect as well as how to respond to people coming for prayer or quiet. Coffee and tea would be available, but the emphasis would be on having the church open and available, not on a “coffee morning”. There would be a donations box for contributions to the cost of refreshments. Arrangements could be modified in the light of experience, and an initial review would be carried out after Christmas. Duties would be for 2 hour sessions initially (except Weds, when part of the slot would be occupied with midweek Communion) but private sharing arrangements could be established if desired. JAM was pursuing the question of funding for the cost of gas and electricity, tentatively estimated by CJF to be about £8 per morning. She was also seeking funding for a banner which would have a simple announcement on the lines of “The church is open”.; it was hoped to hang this on the wall of the transformer station at the top of Church Lane. Action : JAM

· Arrangements were being made for the final training session needed prior to establishing a pastoral care team. Action : JAM, PD

· The Rudloe Community Centre had been booked for a Christmas party on Sat 13 Dec (with thanks to JC) as a first step to greater involvement in that part of the village. It was intended to include a Nativity Play in the afternoon’s activities. CS, DN and PM will gather those who are interested in helping. Action : CS, PM, DN

· Sunday morning children’s work will move to the Vicarage from the start of Advent. [ A subsequent email from CT, who was unable to be at the PCC meeting, has renewed his offer to make space available within his property in the slightly longer term, and the details of this generous offer are being discussed].

· All together breakfasts are scheduled for 19 Oct and 16 Nov, before Family Service on each occasion. A corps of helpers separate to the Social Committee is needed. DN, AN and JC offered to help on 19 Oct and were warmly thanked for this.

13. It was noted that although several of these actions were being put in place from Advent Sunday, the service that day (30 Nov) would actually be at the Methodist church.

ITEM 7 – OTHER ISSUES FROM THE STANDING COMMITTEE

14. Rainwater Charges. The PCC took note of Item 7 (paras 15 and 16) of the minutes of the Standing Committee meeting on 11 September.

15. Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults. A draft policy on this topic had been distributed by email by CS shortly before the meeting. It was proposed by CJF, seconded by PD and agreed unanimously that the policy be adopted. It was agreed that the Lay Pastoral Coordinator (when appointed) and JAM should have delegated authority to appoint the person who would “represent the concerns and views of vulnerable adults at our meetings and to outside bodies”. Finally, it was agreed that this policy would be brought back to the PCC at this time each year in order to review the progress in implementing it. Action : JAM, CS, CJF

16. Chalice Servers. It was proposed by CJF, seconded by WH and agreed unanimously that the appointment of Claire Southgate, Bill Reece, Diana Northey, Alice Kemp, Phil Daniels and John Tucker as Chalice Servers was recommended by the PCC. Action : JAM

17. Minutes Secretary. The PCC took note of Item 3 (para 4) of the minutes of the Standing Committee meeting on 11 September. CJF emphasised that although continuing in post for the moment he would like to stand down from being the Minutes Secretary.

ITEM 8 - REPORTS FROM SYNODS

18. Deanery Synod. The Deanery Synod had not met recently. The next meeting will be on 29 Oct and will be given a talk on Back to Church Sunday.

19. Docesan Synod. The Diocesan Synod had not met recently.

ITEM 9 - COMMITTEE AND WORKING GROUP REPORTS

20. Finance Committee. Due to meet later in October.

21. Worship Group. The Group continues to meet for routine business and the design of numerous special services.

22. Publicity Group. A report had been distributed by email. JC reminded the meeting that the Box Art Group had chosen our Chairs Fund as its designated charity this year. In return a strong attendance by members of the church community at the Art Exhibition’s Preview and Supper Evening on Fri 31 October was encouraged. JC would promulgate details. [Post meeting: done]. It was also noted that the Publicity Group had been considering support of Men’s Breakfasts, but this had been overtaken by the plans from the Awayday for more All together breakfasts.

23. Music Group. This informal group was due to meet on 2 October.

24. Social Committee. Continues to do good work.

ITEM 10 – OTHER ADMINISTRATIVE MATTERS

25. PD’s Licence. It was proposed by CS, seconded by DN, and agreed unanimously that “this council supports the re-licensing of Mr Phil Daniels to the parish of Box with Hazelbury”.

ITEM 11 - CORRESPONDENCE

27. Nil reported.

ITEM 12 - MATTERS ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MINUTES AND NOT ALREADY COVERED

28. Posting of Minutes on the Web. Arrangements have been made for PCC minutes to be posted on the web, after the editing of any confidential issues.

29. Becket 2010. A visit had been made to Edington Music Festival.

30. Video Policy. This had been adopted and the first “video’d wedding” had taken place.

31. Anglican Methodist Covenant. This item will be removed from the PCC agenda, pending further thought and discussion.

32. Awayday. Completed.